Monday, March 16, 2009

Sentence

Definition

A sentence is a group of words that contains at least one subject and one verb. A sentence expresses a complete thought. A simple sentence has one subject and one verb. The subject tells who or what did something. The verb tells the action (or condition).

These are simple sentences:

Subject
Verb
I
study.
I
study and work.
My head
hurts.
My head and neck
hurt.
It
is raining.
The students
are reading.

(Notice that the subject in a simple sentence may be compound: My head and neck hurt. Also, the verb in a simple sentence may be compound: I study and work.)
NOTE: "Save your money" is also a complete sentence. The subject "you" is understood and not included.

Subject umumnya berupa kata benda (Noun), atau pengganti kata benda/orang (Pronoun), atau kata lain yang dibendakan (Gerund = kata kerja yang dibendakan, dan bisa juga to-infinitive). Noun dalam subject bisa hadir sendirian (single) atau dalam frasa kata benda (Noun Phrase).

Examples:

My bag is expensive (Noun)
She likes apples. (Pronoun)
Swimming makes me healhty. (Gerund)
To err is human. (to-infinitive)

Verbs adalah unsur inti dari predicate yang yang menceritakan kegiatan/ tindakan yang dilakukan oleh subject atau menceritakan tentang kondisi subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment